When you’re pressed for time (and who isn’t), it’s a challenge to get wholesome meals on the table night after night. Tackle dinner dilemmas with tips, tricks and strategies that will make it more efficient and less stressful to pull nourishing meals together. Let’s get started…
Shop Smart Strategies
1) Start your shopping at home. Check what foods are on hand (fridge, pantry, freezer) and make note of foods that need to be eaten soon.
2) Make a list of meals you can make that include the foods you have on hand. Include some cook-ahead or make once, eat twice ideas to keep meal prep-time manageable. Ask the family for input of what they have a craving for.
3) Make a list of extra items you will need to round out the meals to ensure they are balanced with veggies, fruits, whole grains and protein. Check for store specials you can take advantage of. To save time at the store, sort the list according to grocery store layout – deli, frozen, dairy, meat, etc.
4) In-store, look for discounted items close to expiry to take advantage of some deep discounts. Buy only items that you can cook or use for meals right away to manage food waste. Once cooked, meats can keep refrigerated for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
5) Meal kits just might be the answer when pressed for time, but if you can prep your own meal kits at home, it helps manage the budget and reduce packaging waste. Some meal kits are just a recipe and portioned-out pasta, meat and veggies. You can do this!
5) Consider online grocery shopping if time is tight.
Having balanced meals is important but it can be tricky to implement. Follow this healthy plate approach as a guide to proper proportions of wholesome foods.