Pickled Red Onions
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup (250 mL) EACH red wine vinegar and hot water
2 green onions, trimmed and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 cup (250 mL) EACH chopped fresh Italian parsley and cilantro
1 tbsp (15 mL) hot pepper flakes
¾ tsp (4 mL) kosher salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) ground cinnamon
¾ cup (175 mL) extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
1 tsp (5 mL) EACH ground cumin, ground ginger and kosher salt
¾ tsp (4 mL) fresh ground pepper
½ tsp (2 mL) EACH ground cinnamon, coriander and allspice
½ tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper
¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
1 lb (500 g) Beef Flank Steak, about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
3 Greek pita (with pocket)
Fresh dill sprigs
Fresh cilantro and Italian parsley leaves
Labneh or plain Greek yogurt
- Pickled Red Onions: Place onions in a heatproof boil. Combine vinegar and boiling water in a measuring cup; pour over sliced onions. Cover and let stand for at least 1 hour.
- Chermoula: Combine green onions, garlic, lemon zest, parsley, cilantro, hot pepper flakes, salt, cumin, cinnamon, oil and vinegar in a bowl, mixing well. Cover and set aside until serving.
- Flank Steak Combine cumin, ginger, salt, pepper, cinnamon, coriander, allspice, cayenne and cloves in a small bowl to make ras al hanout seasoning.
- Rub steak all over with ras al hanout seasoning and oil. Grill in a closed preheated barbecue or pan-fry in a cast-iron skillet using medium-high heat for 10 to 12 minutes, turning twice or more, until a digital instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into steak reads 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into thin slices across the grain.
- Cut each pita in half and open pocket. Tuck in 2 to 3 slices of steak, and top with some of the Pickled Red Onions, fresh dill, parsley and cilantro leaves, labneh and a spoonful of Chermoula.