Take your palate on a culinary adventure to Morocco with this ras el hanout flank steak pita. Made with flank steak and packed with Moroccan and Israeli flavours and fresh herbs, this dish is dressed to impress.
Pickled Red Onions
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup (250 mL) EACH red wine vinegar and hot water
2 green onions, trimmed and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 cup (250 mL) EACH chopped fresh Italian parsley and cilantro
1 tbsp (15 mL) hot pepper flakes
¾ tsp (4 mL) kosher salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) ground cinnamon
¾ cup (175 mL) extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
1 tsp (5 mL) EACH ground cumin, ground ginger and kosher salt
¾ tsp (4 mL) fresh ground pepper
½ tsp (2 mL) EACH ground cinnamon, coriander and allspice
½ tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper
¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
1 lb (500 g) Beef Flank Steak, about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
3 Greek pita (with pocket)
Fresh dill sprigs
Fresh cilantro and Italian parsley leaves
Labneh or plain Greek yogurt
- Pickled Red Onions: Place onions in a heatproof boil. Combine vinegar and boiling water in a measuring cup; pour over sliced onions. Cover and let stand for at least 1 hour.
- Chermoula: Combine green onions, garlic, lemon zest, parsley, cilantro, hot pepper flakes, salt, cumin, cinnamon, oil and vinegar in a bowl, mixing well. Cover and set aside until serving.
- Flank Steak Combine cumin, ginger, salt, pepper, cinnamon, coriander, allspice, cayenne and cloves in a small bowl to make ras al hanout seasoning.
- Rub steak all over with ras al hanout seasoning and oil. Grill in a closed preheated barbecue or pan-fry in a cast-iron skillet using medium-high heat for 10 to 12 minutes, turning twice or more, until a digital instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into steak reads 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into thin slices across the grain.
- Cut each pita in half and open pocket. Tuck in 2 to 3 slices of steak, and top with some of the Pickled Red Onions, fresh dill, parsley and cilantro leaves, labneh and a spoonful of Chermoula.