- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 4 lbs (2 kg) veal shanks, 1-1/2″ (3.5 cm) thick
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (19oz/540 mL) Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry white wine
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated lemon peel
In a large pot, heat half the oil over medium heat. Add veal shanks (1/3 at a time) and brown evenly, turning occasionally. Add remaining oil as needed. Remove shanks and season with salt.
Add onion, carrot and garlic to pan; cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, wine and basil. Return shanks; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until veal is tender.
Meanwhile combine gremolata ingredients; set aside.
Remove shanks and skim fat. Cook liquid over high heat until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Spoon approx. 3/4 cup (175 mL) sauce over shanks; sprinkle with gremolata.
Serve with remaining sauce and rice or risotto.