Inspired by Koshari, a traditional street food in Egypt, this weeknight rice bowl features a hearty mixture of protein-rich ground beef and fibre-rich whole grain and beans, all topped with a zesty tomato salsa. This meal gets an iron boost with the synergy-effect of combining meat, beans, chard and whole grain.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp white vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
- Rice & Beef:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp each ground allspice and nutmeg
- ¼ tsp each ground ginger and coriander
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup no-salt added canned kidney beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Wilted Greens (recipe below)
- Salsa: Whisk oil with vinegar, sugar and ¼ tsp salt until dissolved. Add tomatoes, shallot and parsley. Let stand at room temperature until ready to serve.
- Rice & Beef: Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Crumble in beef. Stir in cumin, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, coriander and garlic. Cook, breaking up into small crumbles, for 5 to 7 minutes or until browned.
- Stir in rice until well combined. Add 3 cups water. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in beans. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve over wilted greens and top with salsa.
Wilted Greens: Heat 1 tbsp oil with 1 crushed clove garlic in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add 1 bunch trimmed, washed and torn rainbow Swiss chard or kale. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until wilted.
Per serving: 695 calories, 30.7 g fat, 7.9 g saturated fat, 547 mg sodium, 68.8 g carbohydrates, 11.7 g fibre, 4.6 g sugar, 40.3 g protein %DV: 99% zinc, 49% iron, 145% vitamin B12