With refreshing flavours off the grill you’ll be sure to enjoy this colourful and hearty dinner salad. A creamy dressing adds a wonderful backdrop to the juicy steak, crisp grilled corn and fresh herbs.
5 tbsp (75 mL) canola or vegetable oil, divided
2 tsp (10 mL) ancho chili powder
½ tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
½ tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
2 cobs corn, husked
1 Beef Rib Eye Grilling Steak, 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick (about 8 oz/250 g)
¼ cup (60 mL) plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp (30 mL) mayonnaise
1 small clove garlic, minced
½ tsp (2 mL) grated lime zest
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice
¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
1 can (14 oz/398 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 large tomato, seeded and diced
¼ cup (60 mL) crumbled feta cheese
3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
Mixed greens (optional)
Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- Stir together 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the oil, chili powder, cumin and ¼ tsp (1 mL) of the salt in a small bowl. Brush corn cobs and pitas lightly with oil mixture; set aside.
- Pat steaks dry with paper towel and brush all over with remaining oil mixture.
- Grill corn in a closed preheated barbecue over medium-high heat (400°F/200°C) for about 8 minutes, turning to cook all sides, until tender. At the same time, grill steak, turning twice or more, for 6 to 8 minutes or until a digital instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into centre of steak reads 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare desired at the least. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes; transfer corn to a bowl and let cool slightly. Grill pita, turning once, for about 2 minutes or until grilled marked; set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together remaining oil, yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic, lime zest and juice, pepper and the remaining salt in a large bowl. Add beans and tomato and corn and stir well to coat.
- Cut kernels from corn and add to salad. Cut or tear pitas into pieces. Carve steak into thin slices across the grain and add to salad with feta and chopped cilantro; stir to combine. Divide greens onto plates (if using) and top with salad. Serve with pitas and fresh cilantro leaves, if desired.