Adapted from a CJ Katz family-favourite, this recipe uses thin slices of AAA steak to build the bowl along with rice or cooked lentils, veggies, hummus and a drizzle of homemade tahini sauce. CJ’s ‘dry brine method’ is her secret to steak with incredible flavour and tenderness. By applying the ‘dry-brine’ rub at least 6 hours in advance of cooking, the seasoning draws out moisture and then the steak re-absorbs the seasoned juices. This recipe just wouldn’t be the same without beef! For more from CJ visit: https://www.beakitchenhero.com/
Healthy Bowl with Dry-brined Steak
Author: CJ Katz
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 Top Sirloin Grilling Steak, 1¼” thick (about 350 g)
- ½ to 1 tsp steak spice OR salt & pepper OR Be a Kitchen Hero Burnt Canoe Steak Seasoning*
- 2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup wild rice
- Baby arugula, spinach or other micro-green
- Julienned sweet red or yellow pepper
- Sliced avocado
- Thinly sliced red onion, radish and cucumber
- Homemade Tahini Sauce(recipe in notes)
- Seeds/nuts such as pumpkin, sunflower, sliced almonds, walnuts
- Torn cilantro leaves
- *for Kitchen Hero spices visit https://www.beakitchenhero.com
- Pat steak dry with paper towel; sprinkle sparingly with the steak spice, enough to coat but not crust the steak all over. Rub or pat in the spice. Wrap the steak tightly in plastic wrap. Place on a plate and refrigerate 6 hours or preferably overnight. NOTE: In a time crunch? Skip the brining and simply season and cook right away.
- Prepare rice according to package directions. (Note – grains can be prepared up to 3 days in advance, kept covered in the fridge.) Make the Tahini Sauce (see recipe in notes).
- When ready to build the bowl, assemble vegetables and set aside. Unwrap the steak and do not rinse. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add canola oil and the cold steak; cook to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove the steak to a plate and let rest for 10 minutes. (Note: The steak can also be grilled on the barbecue.)
- To assemble, thinly slice the steak on the diagonal against the grain. To prepare each of 4 bowls, place some microwave-warmed rice in the bottom of each bowl. Top each with some of the steak, a small handful of greens, red or yellow pepper, red onion, radish, and a dollop of hummus. Drizzle all over with the Tahini Sauce. Top each with a sprinkle of seeds and/or nuts and a few sprigs of fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.
Homemade Tahini Sauce: In a medium bowl, mash ¼ cup tahini paste and juice from ½ a lemon with the back of a spoon. The sauce will become very thick. Add 2 tbsp water and continue to mash the mixture, adding water 1 tbsp at a time until you achieve a sauce the thickness of runny yogurt. Stir in 1 small clove garlic, minced (or ¼ tsp garlic powder), 1 tsp EACH ground cumin and ground coriander, ½ tsp EACH smoked (or regular) paprika, Dijon mustard and salt, and pinch black pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings. Refrigerate until ready to use. Can be made a day ahead. Keeps for about 3-4 days in the fridge.