Flank steak marinated in a honey/balsamic blend creates a delicious sweet-savoury flavour to compliment the hearty summer salad. Switch mango for peaches in off season. Creamy burrata cheese adds a touch of dairy calcium to the protein portion of the plate. A 100 g serving of beef provides 79% of your daily needs for the zinc you need to boost your immune system.
Serves: 4 servings
- ¼ cup EACH olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 lb (500 g) Flank Marinating Steak
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¾ tsp EACH salt and freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 peaches, cut into wedges
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 2 cups baby heirloom or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups cooked red quinoa (approx. 1 cup raw)
- ½ cup torn basil leaves
- 5 oz burrata cheese, drained (optional)
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- Whisk oil with vinegar, honey and mustard. Place half into a plastic re-sealable bag; reserving remaining portion. Pierce steak all over with a fork and add to bag along with crushed garlic; massage to coat. Marinate refrigerated for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- Remove steak from marinade; pat dry with paper towel and discard excess marinde. Season steak all over with ½ tsp each salt and pepper.
- Grill, over medium-high heat, turning at least twice, for 8 to 10 minutes or until an instant read thermometer registers 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare when inserted sideways into steak. Transfer to a plate. Loosely tent with foil. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly brush peaches with some of the oil. Place in grilling basket; grill for 2 minutes per side or until well-marked but still firm.
- Whisk remaining salt and pepper into reserved dressing. Toss with mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumber and onion until well coated. Add quinoa and basil; toss to combine.
- Arrange salad on a shallow serving platter. Top with grilled peaches, burrata and sunflower seeds. Carve steak, against the grain, into thin slices and serve with salad.
Per serving: 654 calories, fat 32 g (12.2 g of which is saturated), sodium 654 mg, carbohydrate 43.7 g, fibre 8.1 g, sugars 16.8 g, protein 47 g. %DV: zinc 139%, iron 47%, vitamin B12 145%, calcium 20% DV
• Grilled peaches can be substituted with mango spears or pineapple rings.