I love recipes that are cook once, eat twice. Start by making a Sunday meal of pot roast or oven roast beef. Then, with the leftovers, make this hearty Quick Beef and Barley Soup in just 30 minutes. A perfect weeknight meal when there’s no time to cook!
Quick Beef and Barley Soup
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 9 1-cup servings 1x
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 EACH, large carrot and stalk celery, sliced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- ¾ cup (175 mL) pearl barley
- 4 cups (1 L) beef broth
- 1 can (540 mL) diced stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups (750 mL) cubed cooked roast beef
- Heat vegetable oil in large pot. Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, stirring to coat vegetables. Add barley, beef broth, 3 cups (750 mL) water and stewed tomatoes. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until barley is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add Add cooked beef; heat through, about 2 minutes.