2 tsp (10 mL) salt
1 large potato
Za’atar Spice Blend
1 tbsp (15 mL) dried thyme or oregano leaves
1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cumin
1 tbsp (15 mL) ground coriander
1 tbsp (15 mL) toasted sesame seeds
½ tsp (2 mL) kosher salt
4 tbsp (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
1 cup (250 mL) cooked and drained Lean Ground Beef
8 oz (250 g) homemade or store-bought pizza dough
1 tbsp (15 mL) fine cornmeal
⅓ cup (75 mL) basil pesto
Salt and pepper
1.5 oz (45 g) fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
3 tbsp (45 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
Torn mint or basil leaves for garnish
- Mix 3 cups (750 mL) warm water with the 2 tsp (10 mL) salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Cut the potato into paper-thin slices using a mandoline slicer, the slicing side of a box grater or a very sharp knife. Place in bowl of salted water, pressing down to fully submerge. Set aside and soak for 30 minutes.
- Za’atar Spice Blend: Meanwhile, combine thyme, cumin, coriander, sesame seeds and salt in a small bowl. Set 2 tbsp (30 mL) aside for pizza and store remaining in a jar or airtight container for another use, for up to 6 months.
- Pizza: Preheat oven to 450°F; place pizza pan or baking sheet in the oven to heat. Drain potatoes and place in single layer on a double thickness of paper towel. Roll up to squeeze out water. In medium bowl, toss with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine reserved Za’atar Spice blend with the ground beef and 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the olive oil in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Roll pizza dough on a lightly floured surface into an oval about 12 inches (30 cm) long by about 8 inches (20 cm) wide, or to your desired shape. Remove hot pan from oven and dust with cornmeal. Working quickly, place the doough onto the pan; spread with pesto and the seasoned ground beef and layer sliced potatoes on top, right to the edge of dough. Season with salt and pepper all over to taste.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until the crust and potatoes are golden. Remove from oven; move oven rack to the position that is 3 inches below the broiler rack. Heat the broiler. Meanwhile, top the pizza with slices of mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese. Place under the broiler until cheeses melts slightly and potatoes crisp up. Transfer to a cutting board. Season with salt and pepper to taste; scatter mint or basil leaves over top and cut into wedges to serve.