This big batch recipe allows you to cook a meal for tonight and then have extra meatballs to freeze for weekday lunches or have dinner prepped for another busy weeknight.
Asian Inspired Big Batch Meatballs with Broccoli and Peppers
Author: Andrea Buckett Cooks
Serves: 40 meatballs
- 2 slices white bread
- ½ cup milk
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 red pepper, cut into ½-inch strips
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) Lean Ground Beef
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp five spice powder
- 4 tbsp minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp soya sauce
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- Hoisin Dipping Sauce (recipe follows).
- Tear the bread into pieces and combine with milk in a bowl; let stand to soak. Meanwhile, toss the broccoli and peppers with canola oil, salt and pepper and distribute evenly over a 16 x 11-inch foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl combine the bread and milk mixture, ground beef, onions, five spice powder, ginger, garlic and soya sauce. Scoop 2 heaping tablespoons of ground beef mixture and roll into meatballs. Set aside.
- Combine the cilantro and sesame seeds on another baking sheet or large plate. Roll each meatball in the cilantro and sesame seed mixture to coat. Place the meatballs onto foil-lined rimmed baking sheet pans, 20 on the one sheet pan with the veggies, and 20 on the other sheet pan (no veggies).
- Bake in 400˚F oven for 10 minutes; turn each meatball and bake for another 10 to 12 minutes, until veggies are tender and meatballs are cooked through, testing that a digital instant-read thermometer reads 160˚F (71˚C) when inserted into several meatballs. Transfer the meatballs with veggies tray into a serving dish. Serve with the meatballs and vegetables with the Hoisin Dipping Sauce (recipe follows).
- Allow other meatballs to cool. Transfer meatballs to a container, seal and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Hoisin dipping sauce: Combine ⅓ cup EACH hoisin sauce and mayonnaise with 1 tbsp sambal oelek and 1 tsp sesame oil.