This is a snap to pull together with simple pantry ingredients. Use it to fill tortillas and bake as a casserole (see Chili Enchiladas) or just serve from the pot with wedges of baked tortilla.
Corn and Black Bean Chili
Author: Think Beef
- 1 lb (500 g) Extra Lean or Lean Ground Round or Sirloin*
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large sweet pepper, diced
- 2 to 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- Cook beef, onion, sweet pepper, chili powder and cumin in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat until meat is thoroughly cooked and any liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and corn.
- Cook over medium-high heat until boiling. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Makes 9 servings.
- Chili Enchiladas: Spread 2 cups (500 mL) chili in13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish; set aside. Spoon ½ cup (125 mL) chili onto centre of each of 8 small flour tortillas. Roll up; place seam side down in baking dish. Spoon remaining chili over enchiladas. Sprinkle with 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 minutes. Makes 8 enchiladas.