Welcome to one of the key basic recipes in the Cooking 101 with Andrea Vilneff series – Big Batch Beef. It’s a simple recipe that is fundamental to any smart plan-ahead meal strategy.
To see all of Andrea’s Cooking 101 recipes… just click!
PLUS! Download and print this recipe with BONUS shopping list. Just Click!Print
- 4 lb (2 kg) Extra-Lean or Lean Ground Beef
- 4 EACH cooking onions and cloves garlic, minced
- Cook ground beef in Dutch oven over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into chunks with wooden spoon while cooking, until meat reaches temperature of 160ºF (71ºC) throughout when tested with a digital instant-read thermometer. Drain, and return to pot. Add onion and garlic simmer for 12 to 15 minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Spread mixture in a single layer on several foil or parchment paper-lined baking trays; freeze just until meat is firm, about 1 hour.
- Loosen beef mixture into chunks; scoop meal-sized portions into freezer bags. Freeze for up to 3 months.