Adapted from a recipe by Natalie Bell @pegcitylovely, this is the healthiest way to indulge in a bag of chips! Natalie used a purchased avocado ranch dressing but this version uses one that you make from scratch.
- 2 Beef Tenderloin Grilling Steaks
- Canola oil
- Coarse salt and pepper
- ½ each red or green sweet peppers, diced
- 2 small Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen kernel corn, thawed and cooked or drained canned corn
- 2 cups chipotle Cheddar tortilla chips
- 1 cup Tex-Mex or Cheddar shredded cheese
- 4 cups mixed green salad blend
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp EACH lime juice and mayonnaise or ranch dressing
- Pat steak dry and brush with oil; season all over with salt and pepper. Cook in hot non-stick or cast iron fry-pan or grill over medium-high heat for 10 to 12 minutes turning twice or more for medium-rare doneness. Let steak rest for at least 5 minutes before carving into thin slices.
- While steak rests, make the dressing: mash avocado with potato masher until smooth. Stir in green onion, ¼ cup water, lime juice and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide dressing evenly among four 1 L mason jars. Divide veggies and meat among the jars, layering in the following order: sweet peppers, tomatoes, onion, beans, corn, chips, cheese, beef and salad greens.
- Seal tightly and keep refrigerated for up to 3 days. Shake before serving or pour out into salad bowl to combine before eating.
• Mix diced tomato with ½ cup of your favourite salsa if you like
• If using frozen corn, just microwave for a few minutes to cook
• Use any flavoured tortilla chip if you can’t find the chipotle seasoned