Made with lean ground beef koftas, this kofta shakshuka will step up your brunch game in the most delicious way.
2 cloves garlic, minced
⅓ cup (75 mL) grated white onion
2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp (15 mL) EACH chopped fresh cilantro and mint
2 tbsp (30 mL) ground coriander
2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 mL) EACH kosher salt and ground allspice
½ tsp (2 mL) EACH fresh ground pepper and cayenne pepper
¼ tsp (1 mL) ground ginger
1 lb (500 g) Lean Ground Beef
1 tbsp (15 mL) canola or sunflower oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 white onion, sliced
2 tsp (10 mL) sweet paprika
1 tsp (5 mL) EACH ground cumin, cayenne pepper and ground coriander
½ tsp (2 mL) EACH salt and fresh ground pepper (approx)
1 can (28 oz/796 mL) crushed tomatoes
4 large eggs
½ cup (125 mL) crumbled feta cheese
2 sprigs EACH fresh cilantro and mint
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- Kofta: Combine garlic, onion, parsley, cilantro, mint, coriander, cumin, salt, allspice, pepper, cayenne and ginger in a large bowl. Gently mix in ground beef with a fork until just combined (careful not to over-mix). Scoop meat mixture with a small ice cream scoop or heaping tablespoon and form into meatballs about the size of ping pong balls. Place on a parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet, spacing them apart.
- Bake in preheated 425°F oven for about 7 to 9 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Shakshuka: Heat oil over medium heat in a cast-iron or other deep skillet. Cook garlic and onion, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Stir paprika, cumin, cayenne, coriander, salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes and 1 cup (250 mL) water. Add partially cooked koftas; spoon sauce over top.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sourness from the tomatoes has been cooked out and a thermometer inserted into several koftas reads 160°F (71°C). Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Crack eggs, one at a time, directly on top of sauce, spacing them apart. Cover and cook at a low simmer for about 4 minutes or until eggs are a perfect medium with a runny yolk or to desired doneness.
- Serve garnished with feta cheese, cilantro, mint and a drizzle of olive oil.