This recipe is adapted from one by the Food Mamma herself, Fareen Jadavji-Jessa. This Mayai Mani casserole is quick to pull together with just a few basic ingredients and is reminiscent of Mexican Heuovos Rancheros.
Mayai Mani (Beef and Egg Casserole)
Author: Think Beef
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp EACH minced garlic and fresh gingerroot
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Dried parsley
- 4 eggs
- Cook the ground beef in large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- When the meat is partially cooked, add the onion, tomatoes and spices; continue cooking until the meat is completely cooked and any liquid has evaporated. Add lemon juice and season with salt to taste. Add a handful of chopped cilantro to the ground beef; remove from heat and set aside.
- Grease an 8” x 8” glass baking dish. Beat one egg and pour half of it on the bottom of the dish.
- Add the ground beef mixture.
- Make four indentations, evenly spaced in the ground beef. Add one of four eggs into each depression. Beat the remaining egg and pour over top. Sprinkle with dried parsley and paprika.
- Bake in a 350˚F oven for 20 minutes or until the eggs have cooked.
- Serve with bread or naan.