Spice up your next special dinner with these pastrami-crusted braised short ribs. This dish combines two classics: the flavours of a pastrami sandwich with tender, juicy short ribs. Need we say more?
Pastrami-crusted Braised Short Ribs
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours 40 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 3 1x
There may be leftovers if you are serving as a dinner for 2 –but maybe not! Use short ribs that are cut lengthwise with the bone (rather than sliced across the bones), about 6 inches (15 cm) long and about 3 inches (7.5 cm) thick.
Braised Short Ribs
2 lb (1 kg) Beef Bone-in Short Ribs
½ tsp (2 mL) EACH salt and fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp (15 mL) canola or sunflower oil
4 cups (1 L) beef broth
1 bag (454 g) baby carrots
2 stalks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
2 bay leaves
6 to 8 sprigs fresh thyme
¼ cup (60 mL) coriander seeds
3 tbsp (45 mL) whole black peppercorns
2 tsp (10 mL) yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp (5 mL) EACH fennel seeds and whole cloves
1 tbsp (15 mL) kosher salt
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
2 cups (500 mL) plain Greek yogurt
3 tbsp (45 mL) prepared horseradish
½ cup (125 mL) fresh dill sprigs
- Braised Short Ribs: Season beef all over with salt and pepper. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a cast-iron or other heavy skillet. Brown beef, turning to brown on all sides. Transfer to a deep, enamelled cast-iron roaster or Dutch oven and add carrots, celery, onion, thyme and bay leaves. Pour in beef broth and submerge ribs. Cover the pot with foil, and then the lid to seal tightly.
- Braise in preheated 300°F oven for 3 hours or until beef is fork-tender. Remove ribs from sauce with a slotted spoon and transfer to a rack set over a parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet. Let cool.
- Strain braising liquid into a saucepan, reserving the baby carrots. Discard remaining solids. Bring liquid to a boil over medium heat; boil for about 30 minutes or until reduced by three-quarters. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pastrami Spice: Meanwhile, combine coriander seeds, peppercorns, mustard seeds, fennel seeds and cloves in a small dry skillet. Toast over medium-low heat, shaking the pan constantly, for about 3 minutes until fragrant and lightly toasted. Transfer to a spice grinder and grind until coarsely ground. Transfer to a bowl. Grind bay leaves until finely ground and add to bowl with the spices and add the brown sugar; stir well. Set aside.
- Horseradish Yogurt: Combine yogurt and horseradish in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Rub cooled beef (on the rack) all over with Pastrami Spice until fully covered. Roast in preheated 475°F oven for about 7 minutes or until the crust is caramelized.
- To serve, spread Horseradish Yogurt on a large platter. Arrange beef and baby carrots on top. Garnish with fresh dill and serve drizzled with some of the remaining braising liquid as a sauce.