This one-pot wonder will be a new family favourite that the kids will continue to make once they move out! It is a dinner classic with a twist that’s ready in less than 30 minutes, with perogies taking the place of traditional mashed potatoes.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb (500 g) Lean Ground Beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp EACH dried thyme and sage leaves
- 2 cups frozen diced mixed vegetables, thawed slightly
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp EACH salt and pepper
- 24 frozen potato and cheese perogies
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and thinly sliced green onions (optional)
- In a large deep oven-safe nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook beef, onion, garlic, thyme and sage for about 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Stir in mixed vegetables to coat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together broth, flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour into skillet and stir to coat. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Place perogies into beef mixture in a concentric circle over top. Cover skillet with lid and simmer gently for about 12 minutes or until perogies are tender and puffed. Uncover and sprinkle cheese over perogies.
- Place skillet about 6 inches (15 cm) under preheated broiler for about 4 minutes until cheese is melted and top is light golden. Let cool slightly before serving dolloped with sour cream and green onions, if desired.
Per Serving (1/6 recipe): 490 calories, 20g fat, 8g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 990mg sodium, 53g carbs, 4g fibre, 7g sugars, 27g protein. %DV: vitamin A 6%, vitamin C 5%, calcium 18%, iron 26%.
Calcium per serving is 175 mg.