On a cold day nothing beats a hearty soup!
With the new food guide putting an emphasis on a plant-based diet, this is a delicious way to get your veggies along with your protein via extra lean ground beef. This is one of the first recipes I ever learned and a favourite!
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (500 g) extra lean ground beef
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded baby spinach
- 1 can (28 fl oz) diced tomatoes
- 6 cups (1.5 L) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt and pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) cheese tortellini noodles or whole wheat macaroni
- Heat oil in a deep soup pot on medium-high. Brown beef for 5 minutes, breaking beef into a crumble with the back of a spoon. Stir in mushrooms, onion, salt, pepper, carrots, celery and spinach. Cook for 3
- Stir in diced tomatoes, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in noodles and cook for 7 minutes or until noodles are just cooked.
- Tip: This recipe is a great way to get creative in the kitchen. Try adding your favourite vegetables. Some great alternative options are cabbage or peas. Use what you have available in your fridge or freezer.