Peppery arugula and juicy watermelon salad add a pop of fresh to this steak and whole grain dinner. This modest serving of beef provides 165% of your vitamin B12 daily needs. For comparison, if you were to substitute chicken for the beef in this recipe, you would get only 25% of your vitamin B12 needs with no significant savings of calories or fat. Take Note – here is what the nutrition info looks like for the recipe if using skinless chicken breast (per serving) 608 calories, fat 28 g (4.3 g of which is saturated), sodium 812 mg, carbohydrate 48.1 g, fibre 6 g, sugars 14.6 g, protein 42.7 g. %DV: zinc 31%, iron 30%, vitamin B12 25%
Peppery arugula and juicy watermelon salad add a pop of fresh to this steak and whole grain dinner. This modest serving of beef provides 165% of your vitamin B12 daily needs. For comparison, if you were to substitute chicken for the beef in this recipe, you would get only 25% of your vitamin B12 needs with no significant savings of calories or fat.
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp EACH grainy Dijon mustard and chili powder
- 1 tsp EACH salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 radishes, very thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 lb (500 g) Grilling Steak (Top Sirloin Cap, Strip Loin or Rib Eye), about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, warm
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro or green onion
- Dressing: Whisk canola oil with lime zest, lime juice, honey, mustard, chili powder, salt and pepper. Measure out 1/4 cup dressing and set aside.
- Salad: Toss watermelon with cucumber, edamame, onion, jalapeno (if using) and radish with remaining dressing. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grates well. Pat steak dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill, turning at least twice, for 8 to 10 minutes or until an instant read thermometer registers 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare when inserted sideways into steak. Transfer to a plate and loosely tent with foil. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Rice: Toss warm rice with cilantro and remaining 2 tbsp dressing. Divide evenly among 4 plates. Arrange a bed of arugula on each plate. Top with watermelon salad and drizzle with any accumulated juices. Sprinkle with feta. Carve steak, against the grain, into thin slices. Arrange steak on plates and drizzle with reserved dressing.
• Steak can also be prepared in a cast-iron skillet or grill pan set over medium-high heat following the same instructions.
• Substitute cooked rice with same amount of cooked quinoa, barley or couscous if you wish.
Per serving: 620 calories | 40.4 g protein | 30.3 g fat | 48.1 g carbohydrate | 43% DV iron | 165% vitamin B12 | 92% DV zinc