Fareen Jadavji Jessa of foodmamma.com created this amazing one pan meal that just wouldn’t be the same without flavourful BEEF. The unique spice blend combined with the perky squeeze of lemon creates a flavour combo reminiscent of chorizo. The sweet potatoes and addition of eggs make it a perfect meal for breakfast, brunch or dinner.
Minus the potato and egg, and you’ve got a terrific topper for mashed or baked potatoes. If you’ve never used dried chilis in a recipe before, this is a great way to start– mild not spicy and OH so flavourful. Says Food Mamma: “This beef loving family definitely can’t get enough. I make a double quantity of the sautéed beef – and freeze half so I have half on hand for another time we want this tasty dish.” ThinkBeef.ca says: BEEF ON!Print
- 2 dried ancho or chipotle chilis
- 1 dried New Mexico chili
- 2 tsp EACH ground cumin, and coriander
- 2 tsp EACH paprika, and salt
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 small onion, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb (1 kg) Lean Ground Beef
- 4 eggs
fresh torn cilantro, diced green onion and tomato (optional)
- Place the dried chili peppers in a glass bowl and cover with boiling water. Let the peppers sit for 15 minutes until soft. Once softened, cut off the stems and place in a blender along with the spices, garlic, onion, lemon juice and water. Blend until it becomes a paste.
- In large bowl, mix the chili paste with the ground beef until well combined; set aside. Heat oil in a pan. Cook the sweet potatoes, onions and garlic until the potatoes soften. Remove from the pan; set aside.
- Add ground beef and chili mixture to the pan; cook through, stirring often and breaking up with a wooden spoon. Remove half the ground beef with a slotted spoon and set it aside. To the remaining ground beef in the pan, stir in the softened sweet potato and onion.
- Crack the eggs on top of the simmering beef mixture. Add tight fitting lid and simmer until eggs are done as you like – keep peeking to check. Garnish with cilantro, green onions and tomatoes if desired.
- Freeze the extra cooked beef in tightly sealed container as a shortcut to making the recipe another time in the future.