Bistro-style Braised Beef & Beer
Author: Think Beef
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp EACH dried thyme, marjoram leaves, and pepper
- 4 Beef Short Ribs or 2 lb (1 kg) Beef Stewing Cubes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup EACH dark beer and beef stock
- 2 tbsp ketchup or tomato paste
- 1 tbsp EACH Dijon mustard, and red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks or 2 cups baby carrots
- 8 oz large mushrooms, quartered (optional)
- Minced parsley (if desired)
- Combine flour, salt, thyme, marjoram and pepper in a large bowl. In batches, add ribs or beef cubes to flour mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to plate. In Dutch oven, heat half the oil over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches and adding more oil as needed, for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker, along with any remaining flour mixture; toss together.* Set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to Dutch oven and cook over medium heat until just starting to soften, adding more oil if needed. Stir in the beer and broth; bring to boil, stirring to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Remove from heat; stir in the ketchup, mustard, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Pour into the slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Cook, covered, on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, stirring in the carrots and mushrooms (if using) in the last hour of cooking. Cook until vegetables are tender and broth is bubbling. Garnish each serving with some minced parsley if desired.
TIP: *To cook without a slow cooker, remove browned beef from Dutch oven and return to bowl with flour mixture; toss to combine. Complete Step 2, but instead of pouring broth mixture into slow cooker, add beef to the broth mixture in the Dutch oven. Cook, covered in a 325F oven for 3 to 4 hours, adding carrots and mushrooms in the last hour of cooking. Cook until vegetables are tender.