Flavourful grilled beef is perfect for this spicy sandwich. With fresh herb and spice seasoning this sandwich is ideal to enjoy on the deck with your favourite cold drink to cool off the heat.
3 tbsp (45 mL) canola or vegetable oil
¾ tsp (4 mL) grated lime zest
3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp (10 mL) sweet smoked paprika
1 tsp (5 mL) EACH dried oregano leaves and ground cumin
¼ tsp (1 mL) EACH salt and pepper
12 oz (375 g) Beef Sirloin Tip or Strip Loin Fast-Fry Steaks
1 cup (250 mL) refried beans
1 small canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced (optional)
2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
4 small ciabatta buns, split
4 slices Havarti or mozzarella cheese
Pickled Red Onions (see Tip)
Avocado Jalapeño Chunky Crema
1 avocado, chopped
⅓ cup (75 mL) sour cream
2 tbsp (30 mL) drained pickled sliced jalapeño peppers
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice
1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
1. Stir together oil, lime zest and juice, garlic, smoked paprika, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
2. Pierce steaks all over with a fork; add to marinade and turn to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
3. Avocado Jalapeño Chunky Crema: Mash avocado with a fork in a small bowl. Stir in sour cream, jalapeño peppers, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Stir together refried beans, chipotle pepper (if using) and cilantro in another small bowl; set aside.
5. Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Pat steaks dry with paper towel. Grill in a closed preheated barbecue over medium-high heat (400°F/200°C) for about 4 minutes. Remove to a plate.
6. Spread bun bottoms with bean mixture and top with cheese, then grilled steaks. Sprinkle with pickled onions. Spread Avocado Jalapeño Chunky Crema on bun tops and close sandwiches to serve.
Tips: To make Pickled Red Onions: Heat together 1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine vinegar with 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar and 1 tsp (5 mL) salt in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until dissolved. Add 1 red onion, thinly sliced. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Drain onions and use as desired.
For a less spicy sandwich, omit chipotle pepper and pickled jalapeños.