Welcome to one of the recipes in the Cooking 101 with Andrea Vilneff series – Ginger Beef & Mushroom.
To see all of Andrea’s Cooking 101 recipes… just click!
PLUS! Download and print this recipe with BONUS shopping list. Just Click!Print
- Pickled carrots:
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup warm water
- ½ cup vinegar
- 2 large carrots, spiralized or sliced thinly (julienned)
- Beef satay:
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp EACH sriracha sauce and sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 lb (500 g) Fast-fry Beef Steaks
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 2 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cups cooked soba or thin whole wheat noodles
- ½ cucumber, sliced thinly (julienned)
- 1 cup thinly sliced (julienned) daikon radish (optional)
- Pickled carrots: In a small bowl dissolve sugar in warm water, stir in vinegar and carrots. Cover and let sit while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Beef satay: In medium bowl, whisk together teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, sriracha, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. Cut each fast-fry beef steak into 1-inch thick strips and pour half of mixture over beef. Stir until evenly coated. Reserve the remaining sauce to drizzle over the dish later. Skewer beef onto 6-inch long metal skewers, or wooden skewers that have been soaked in water. Tightly thread 1 strip of beef onto each skewer (if strips are small, thread 2 or 3 strips onto a skewer). Heat a large frying pan to medium-high. Cook skewers in two batches for 2 minutes on each side.
- Mushrooms: In a medium skillet, heat oil on medium. Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook until fork tender, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Eggs: Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray to make sure the egg doesn’t stick. Heat pan over medium-low depending on your stove. Crack an egg into a bowl, one at a time, and drop the egg in the pan. Let the eggs cook until white is set and the corners begin to curl ever so slightly, about 3 to 4 minutes depending on your heat source. Slide the eggs onto a plate to avoid overcooking.
- Assembly: Divide cooked noodles evenly between 4 separate bowls. Top with mushrooms, pickled carrots, cucumber, beef skewers and lastly topped off with an egg. Drizzle each bowl with reserved sauce.