Ordinary steak? I don’t think so. These Killer Kabobs are another deliciously unconventional beef recipe. Time to Re-Think your beef!
- 1/4 cup EACH hoisin sauce, soy sauce and ketchup
- 1 tbsp EACH maple syrup, minced fresh gingerroot and garlic
- 1 lb (500 g) Beef Grilling Steak (e.g. Top Sirloin, Strip Loin, etc), 1-inch thick, cut into kabob cube pieces.
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 small (mini) eggplants, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine hoisin, soy sauce, ketchup, maple syrup, gingerroot and garlic. Divide mixture into 2 equal portions – 1 portion to baste the meat and one to baste the eggplant.
- Season beef cubes all over with Chinese five-spice powder and salt and pepper to taste; thread onto skewers. Grill over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes, turning at least twice for medium-rare doneness, basting with 1 portion of the sauce mixture near end of cooking. Discard any remaining meat basting sauce.
- Meanwhile, place eggplant slices on grill in single layer; with clean basting brush, lightly baste upper side with the reserved eggplant basting sauce. Grill 2 minutes; turn and baste lightly. Cook 2 to 3 minutes until just softened; transfer to serving bowl and drizzle with any remaining eggplant basting sauce. Serve with beef kabobs; garnishing with sesame seeds (if desired).