Get the flavour of Greek souvlaki in this easy electric pressure cooker beef recipe. This braising technique makes the beef tender and perfect to tuck into pitas with your favourite toppings. Brought to you in partnership with Osteoporosis Canada.
Get more recipes for healthy bones here. View, download or order your free copy.
Pressure Cooker Souvlaki-Style Braised Beef
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
2 lb (1 kg) Beef Boneless Blade or Cross Rib Pot Roast
1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano leaves
1 tsp (5 mL) EACH garlic powder and onion powder
2 tbsp (30 mL) canola or vegetable oil
1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon zest
3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
2 tbsp (30 mL) beef broth or water
½ tsp (2 mL) EACH salt and pepper
1 cup (250 mL) crumbled feta cheese
2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
6 Greek style pitas (about 7 inches/18 cm diameter EACH, one 425 g pkg)
1 tub (227 g) prepared tzatziki
1 cup (250 mL) diced tomatoes
½ cup (125 mL) diced cucumber
½ cup (125 mL) shredded carrot
Half small red onion, thinly sliced
- Remove netting or string from roast. Cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces, trimming as necessary, and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with oregano, garlic powder and onion powder; toss well to coat evenly.
- Preheat electric pressure cooker on sear/sauté function.
- Add oil and swirl to coat. Brown beef, in batches without overcrowding pot, turning with tongs until browned on all sides, Transfer to a bowl. Press Cancel.
- Return beef and any accumulated juices to pot. Stir in lemon zest and juice, beef broth, salt and pepper. Seal the pressure cooker lid and make sure the vent is closed. Set the pressure to HIGH and time for 35 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, let pressure release naturally.
- Transfer beef to a large bowl using tongs, reserving juices in the pot. Stir feta and parsley into bowl and break up beef into small pieces. Stir in enough of the cooking juices from the pot to moisten beef.
- Warm pitas according to package directions, if desired. Place pitas onto serving plates and divide beef among pitas; top with tzatziki, tomato, cucumber, carrot and onion. Fold up around fillings.
Per Serving (1 filled pita or 1/5th recipe): 730 calories, 29g fat, 14g saturated fat, 150mg cholesterol, 1070mg sodium, 59g carbs, 3g fibre, 7g sugars, 57g protein, vitamin A 17%, vitamin C 15%, vitamin D ≥1%, calcium 30%, iron 38%.
*Calcium = 300 mg per serving
To prepare on the stovetop instead of pressure cooker: Heat oil in a Dutch oven or enamelled cast-iron roaster over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches as directed. Increase beef broth to just cover beef (about 1 cup/250 mL) and add with lemon zest, juice, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more broth, if necessary, to keep moist, until meat is fork-tender.