This quick and flavourful recipe for Tikka Masala Beef Skewers is a great way to try something new in the kitchen. Serve this recipe up buffet style and let everyone pick their own toppings. The subtle spice from the curry paste is cooled off with the Raita yogurt sauce making for a perfectly balanced dish.
- Beef skewers:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) masala or curry paste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lb (500 g) fast fry beef steaks (thin cut Strip Loin), sliced into 1-inch strips
- 1/3 (75 mL) finely grated cucumber, squeezed dry
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 slices whole-wheat Naan bread or pita
- 1 cup (250 mL) cucumber slices
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red onion slices
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded lettuce
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro
- Beef skewers: Position oven rack in top third of oven. Preheat the oven’s broiler. In a medium sized bowl, mix together masala paste and yogurt. Add beef to spice mixture and stir until evenly coated. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or up to 24 hours. Tightly thread 1 strip of beef onto each skewer and place on a foil-lined 21 x 15 inch baking sheet. If strips are small, thread 2 or 3 strips onto a skewer. Broil for 5 to 7 minutes. Keep the oven light on and check often to make sure beef does not burn.
- Raita: In a small bowl, mix together cucumber, yogurt, onion, salt, pepper and garlic. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Garnishes: Use naan bread to pull the beef off of the skewers. Garnish your wrap with cucumber, red onion, lettuce, tomato, cilantro and Raita sauce.
Tip: Make your own masala paste at home by mixing together 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste, 2 cloves garlic minced, 1 tbsp (15 mL) each grated fresh ginger, curry powder and masala spice blend. 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper.