This recipe for Egg and Beef Fried Rice is perfect for the beginner cook! Nothing beats a whole meal in one pot and is a great way to start cooking in the kitchen. This recipe is protein rich thanks to the eggs and beef. Plus it is easy to pack for lunches in a thermos or bundle with an ice pack and enjoy cold.
- ½ lb (250 g) fast fry beef steaks (thin cut Strip Loin)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) cauliflower rice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) soy sauce
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) sesame oil
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups (375 mL) frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 2 cups (500 mL) cold cooked long brown rice
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) chopped green onions
- Season beef with salt and pepper. In a large non-stick skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high. Cook beef for 2 minutes on each side, set aside and chop into bite sized pieces (1/4-inch x ¼-inch pieces).
- Add onions to the skillet and cook for one minute. Stir in cauliflower, soy sauce and sesame oil. Cook for 2 minutes. Push vegetables to one side of the pan. Beat eggs and add to the cleared side of the pan, pour in egg mixture. As mixture begins to set, gently move spatula across bottom and sides of skillet to form marble sized, soft curds. Cook until eggs are thickened and no visible liquid egg remains, about 3 minutes. Mix to combine all ingredients. Stir in peas and carrots, beef and cold rice. Remove from heat and sprinkle with green onions.
- Tip: To make cauliflower rice at home, you can use a box grater with medium-sized holes to grate a cauliflower head into rice-sized pieces.
- Tip: Rice needs to be cold or it will clump together in the cooking process. Leftover rice works perfectly for this recipe! If you don’t have any leftover rice feel free to leave the rice out and use 4 cups (1 L) of cauliflower rice.
This recipe is from the new cookbook fro the Yummy Lunch Club – Yummy Cooking 101. Would you like all 8 recipes? Just download the book here!