Ordinary roast beef? I don’t think so. This Wine ‘n Dine Peppercorn Roast Beef is another deliciously unconventional beef recipe. Time to Re-Think your beef!
- 4 lb (2 kg) Beef Oven Roast (e.g. Strip Loin, Rib and Top Sirloin)
- 5 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- Sea salt and coarsely ground pepper
- Cut shallow slits all over roast; insert garlic slivers into slits. Rub all over with coarse salt and pepper. Place, fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan (no water is necessary). Insert oven-safe meat thermometer into centre of roast, avoiding fat or bone. Oven-sear by placing uncovered roast in preheated 450°F (230°C) oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 275°F (140°C). Cook until thermometer reads 145ºF (63ºC) for medium-rare, about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Remove from oven.
- Place roast on cutting board; cover with foil and let stand for at least 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make Peppercorn Wine Sauce. Carve roast into thin slices and serve with hot sauce and Glazed Beets (recipe follows).
Peppercorn Wine Sauce
- Drain off all but 2 tbsp fat from roasting pan. Heat pan drippings in roasting pan over medium-high heat. Stir in 2 tbsp all-purpose flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in 1 cup (250 mL) EACH sodium-reduced beef broth and red wine or Madeira and 2 tsp cracked mixed peppercorns. Cook, stirring up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Whisk until sauce boils and thickens, about 4 minutes. Makes 1-1/4 cups.
- Place ten 3-inch whole beets in a pot with enough water to just cover; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Turn heat off and let stand covered for 1 hour or more. Use a paper towel to slip skins off. Cut into slices; sauté in 2 tbsp butter to heat through. Toss with 2 tbsp EACH chopped chives, green onion or fresh dill and a splash of vinegar or lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.