Cold winter temps, scream out for warm and hearty comfort foods. Time to bring out the our favourite kitchen tool to help out – the slow cooker! This recipe for SLOW-COOKER VIETNAMESE STYLE BEEF POT ROAST is comfort food at its best.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 lb (2 kg) Beef Pot Roast (e.g. Cross Rib, Blade or Brisket)
- 2 tbsp EACH minced fresh gingerroot and rice vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup EACH soy sauce and Kecap Manis (or teriyaki sauce)
- Asian Slaw (recipe follows)
- Pat pot roast dry. Coat beef on all sides with flour. Season beef generously all over with salt and pepper. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add roast, brown well on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove roast from pan. Transfer beef and any juices to slow cooker.
- Add gingerroot, rice vinegar, garlic, chili flakes, soy sauce, Kecap Manis and 1 cup water to Dutch oven. Cook, stirring to remove any brown bits from bottom of pan. Pour over beef in slow-cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours until roast is fork-tender. Remove roast to cutting board, tent with foil.
- Transfer sauce to saucepan and cook over high heat to thicken by reducing by half, about minutes. You should have about 1-1/2 cups of sauce. Carve roast across the grain and serve with sauce as a dip and along with the Asian Slaw (recipe follows).
ASIAN SLAW: In a large bowl, whisk together ¼ cup vegetable oil, 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tbsp EACH sesame oil, liquid honey and Sriracha sauce. Add half a Napa cabbage, thinly sliced (about 6 cups), 1 pkg (10 oz/284 g) match-stick cut carrots (or 3 carrots, shredded), 4 green onions, thinly sliced and 6 radishes, halved and thinly sliced. Toss vegetables together with dressing. Season with ½ tsp EACH salt and freshly ground pepper; toss with ¼ cup EACH coarsely chopped salted roasted peanuts and minced cilantro and 1 tbsp poppy seeds.