2 tbsp (30 mL) ground sumac
1 tsp (5 mL) EACH ground allspice and coriander
½ tsp (2 mL) EACH ground cardamom, cumin and pepper
¾ tsp (4 mL) *salt (approx, optional)
2 lb (1 kg) Beef Blade Pot Roast
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
4 red onions, thinly sliced
12 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup (250 mL) beef broth (*see Baby/Toddler Fast Adapt)
¼ cup (60 mL) fresh lemon juice
Almond Tahini Sauce
1 head garlic
½ cup (125 mL) olive oil, divided
¼ cup (60 mL) tahini
3 tbsp (45 mL) almond butter
2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
½ tsp (2 mL) *salt (optional)
Chopped fresh parsley
1. Combine sumac, allspice, coriander, cardamom, cumin, pepper and *salt to your taste (if cooking for baby omit salt at this stage). Set aside.
2. Pat roast dry with paper towel. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven or enamelled cast-iron roaster; brown beef all over, turning with tongs, for about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Add onions, garlic and spice mixture to pot; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in broth and lemon juice. Return meat and any accumulated juices to pot.
4. Cover and cook in preheated 325°F (160°C) oven for 2 to 3 hours or until fork-tender.
5. Almond Tahini Sauce: Meanwhile, slice about ¼ inch (5 mm) off head of garlic to expose the cloves. Place garlic on a sheet of foil. Drizzle a little olive oil on the exposed cloves. Fold the foil around the garlic to enclose. Place foil packet in a small baking dish and roast in the oven, alongside the beef, for 45 minutes, until very soft.
6. Unwrap garlic and let cool slightly. Squeeze soft garlic out of the skins into blender; discard skins. Add remaining oil, tahini, almond butter, lemon juice and ¼ cup (60 mL) water. Blend on low speed, then gradually increase to high speed and blend until smooth. Stir in *salt to your taste (if cooking for baby omit salt at this stage). Set aside.
7. Transfer beef roast to a bowl. Cut off strings; use two forks to shred the meat. Skim fat from the sauce and combine with the shredded meat.
8. To serve for Baby/Toddler, see modified textures (below). For the rest of the family, season beef and sauce mixture with salt to taste. Serve in a pita with tomatoes, lettuce, almonds and parsley, as desired. Drizzle with a spoonful of Almond Tahini Sauce.
Tip: Extra Almond Tahini Sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Use as a dip for vegetables or to dress a grain salad.
Baby/Toddler Fast Adapt
• *Prepare the beef and tahini sauce without salt.
• *Use no-salt-added beef broth.
• Before serving, heat up all baby food until hot, then cool to lukewarm temperature
Puréed Texture: Combine shredded beef mixture in a blender or food processor. Blend until you reach a consistency that suits your baby’s ability, adding water, breastmilk or formula if necessary. Serve tahini sauce alongside or fold it into the mixture.
Chunky Mash: Place shredded beef mixture in a blender or food processor. Pulse slightly until you reach a consistency that suits your baby’s ability, adding water, breastmilk or formula if necessary. Serve tahini sauce alongside or fold it into the mixture.
Toddler Finger Foods: Serve shredded beef mixture with rice or bite-sized pieces of pita. Offer tahini sauce alongside or drizzle it over the beef.