Sherry is the secret ingredient in this recipe adding both luxe taste as well as tenderizing a budget roast. No need to use an expensive sherry for this recipe – the best value one will work well. This is best served with mashed potatoes or rice to soak up the sauce.
Braised Spanish Beef Roast with Sherry Au Jus
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
3 lb (1.5 kg) Beef Boneless Blade Pot Roast
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp (15 mL) sunflower or canola oil
1 cup (250 mL) medium-dry sherry
1 cup (250 mL) beef broth
2 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp (15 mL) sweet paprika
1 tbsp (15 mL) dried thyme leaves
1 large onion, preferably Spanish, cut lengthwise into wedges
1. Pat roast dry with paper towel. Season all over with salt and pepper to your taste. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven or enamelled cast-iron roaster; brown beef all over for about 10 minutes, turning with tongs. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
2. Add sherry, broth, Worcestershire, paprika and thyme to pot, stirring to combine; bring to boil, stirring and scraping up brown bits from bottom of pot. Stir in onion wedges. Return meat and any accumulated juices to pot.
3. Cover and cook in preheated 325°F oven for about 3 hours or until fork-tender. Transfer roast to a cutting board, cover with foil and let rest for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, skim fat from sauce, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Carve roast across the grain into thin slices and serve with sauce spooned over top.