Make with leftover cooked roast beef or steak, or season 1 lb (500 g) of Beef Grilling steak and grill for this meal. Add a portion of whole grain like cooked brown rice or whole grain couscous for Canada’s Food Guide of veggies, protein and whole grain.Print
Beef & Lentil Salad
- Leftover cooked roast beef or beef Grilling Steak (e.g. Strip Loin or Top Sirloin), 1 inch thick
- ½ cup minced red onion
- ¼ cup EACH olive oil and baby arugula leaves or torn fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced fresh or roasted mashed
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp EACH salt and dried oregano
- 2 to 3 cups assorted grilled vegetables (e.g. zucchini, sweet red
- pepper, asparagus, etc.), cut into chunks
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (540 mL) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 jar (170 mL) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- Carve leftover cooked beef in thin slices across the grain; set aside.
- Whisk together oil, red onion, garlic, vinegar, basil, salt and oregano in large salad bowl. Add grilled vegetables, tomatoes, lentils and artichoke hearts. Gently toss together and season to taste.
- Serve with beef and a cooked whole grain like brown rice or whole grain couscous.
- NOTE: To prepare using a freshly grilled steak instead of leftover cooked beef, season 1 lb (500 g) of 1-inch thick Grilling Steak (e.g. strip loin) all over with 1 tsp EACH Italian seasoning, coarsely ground pepper and salt and ⅛ tsp garlic powder. Grill over medium-high heat for 4 to 7 minutes, turning at least twice, for medium doneness (160F/71C). Let stand for 5 minutes. Carve steak into thin slices; serve with lentil mixture.
Per serving: 658 calories, fat 26.8 g (5 g of which is saturated), sodium 612 mg, carbohydrate 52.7 g, fibre 9.8 g, sugars 5.1 g, protein 50.3 g.
%DV: zinc 122%, iron 52%, vitamin B12 120%