The ever-popular rice bowl gets a new twist in this Latin-inspired version with its bold flavours and textures. This is a new way to think about the traditional ‘burger’ meal with the Cuban influence of olives, raisins and warm spices in the beef burger patty, lots of colourful veggies and NO bun!
- Grilled Vegetable Salad:
- 1/4 cup EACH olive oil and orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp minced chipotle in adobo sauce
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 2 cobs of sweet corn
- 2 orange bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/3 cup pitted and chopped green olives
- 3 tbsp raisins or currants, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes, drained and chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp EACH ground cumin, coriander, cinnamon and salt
- To Serve:
- 1/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp minced chipotle in adobo sauce
- 3 cups cooked whole-grain rice or quinoa, warmed
- 1/4 cup torn fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Grilled Vegetable Salad: Preheat grill to medium heat; grease grates well. Whisk oil with orange juice, garlic, chipotle, salt and pepper. Toss 3 tbsp dressing with the zucchini, corn and peppers. Grill vegetables, turning occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender and slightly charred. Transfer to cutting board; let cool.
- Cut corn off the cobb into a large bowl. Chop zucchini into bite-sized pieces and slice peppers into thin strips. In a large bowl, toss grilled vegetables with tomatoes, beans and 3 tbsp more dressing; set aside.
- Burgers: In a large bowl, gently mix beef with onion, olives, raisins, chili powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and salt. Divide mixture into 6 equal portions; form into 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick patties. Make a thumbprint depression in centre of each patty (to prevent rounding while grilling).
- Preheat grill to medium heat; grease grates well. Grill for 5 to 7 minutes per side, testing doneness with a digital rapid-read thermometer inserted sideways into centre of each patty to ensure patties are cooked to 160°F (71°C).
- To Serve: Stir remaining dressing with yogurt and chipotle until smooth and well combined. Divide warm rice, grilled vegetable salad and burgers evenly among 6 shallow bowls. Top with yogurt sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro and pumpkin seeds.
• To Cook Indoors: Cook burgers in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Cut zucchini into chunks and thinly slice peppers. Sauté in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 3 tbsp of the dressing mixture and 1 cup frozen corn kernels for 10 minutes or until tender.
• Make ahead: Assemble burger patties and refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour or up to 1 day before cooking and serving.
Per serving: 494 calories | 25 g protein | 21 g fat | 53 g carbohydrate | 24% DV iron | 70% vitamin B12 | 59% DV zinc