Welcome to one of the recipes in the Cooking 101 with Andrea Vilneff series – Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich.
To see all of Andrea’s Cooking 101 recipes… just click!
PLUS! Download and print this recipe with BONUS shopping list. Just Click!Print
- ¼ tsp EACH garlic powder, salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) Fast-fry Beef Strip Loin Grilling Steak
- 1 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 medium white onion, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- ½ green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 whole wheat French baguette
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Mix garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl,
- Season beef all over with half the garlic powder, salt and pepper mixture. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook beef for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the skillet. Set aside.
- Add 2 tsp canola oil to the same skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes, stir in mushrooms, bell peppers, and the remaining garlic powder, salt and pepper mixture, and cook for another minute, stirring often.
- Position the oven rack in top third of oven. Preheat the oven’s broiler. Cut baguette into 4 equal-sized pieces. Slice horizontally and place on a foil-lined baking sheet, open sides facing up. Rub each baguette with cut garlic. Place baking sheet in the oven under the broiler to toast the bread, about 1 minute. Remove from the oven. Set the four baguette “tops” to the side for later use. Layer the remaining four baguette slices on the baking sheet evenly with steak (slice the steak into smaller strips, if needed), mushroom mixture and mozzarella cheese. Broil for another minute or until cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and top with baguette tops. Enjoy right away!