Ordinary beef? I don’t think so. This Sumptuous Stew is another deliciously unconventional beef recipe. Time to Re-Think your beef!
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp EACH salt and dried thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp EACH pepper and crushed dried rosemary leaves
- 1 lb (500 g) Stewing Beef Cubes or Boneless Shank, Short Ribs or Simmering Steak (e.g. Blade or Cross Rib, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped leeks, onion or shallot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups coarsely chopped Portobello mushrooms (1 inch chunks)
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 ½ cups beef broth or stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Easy Glazed Carrots (recipe follows)
- Pastry Croutons (recipe follows)
- Combine flour, salt, thyme, pepper and rosemary in shallow bowl. Coat beef cubes lightly with flour mixture, reserving any remaining flour mixture to thicken sauce.
- Heat oil over medium heat in deep heavy skillet or sauté pan. Working in batches, brown beef cubes on all sides; remove from pan. Add leeks, garlic and mushrooms to pan; cook, stirring often until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Gradually stir in wine, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Cook until reduced by half. Stir in broth and tomato paste; bring to boil. Add browned beef and reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat from pan; keep warm.
- Gradually stir 3 tablespoons cold water into reserved seasoned flour mixture until smooth. Gradually whisk into bubbling sauce. Cook and stir until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper; add beef back to pan to coat with sauce. Serve with Easy Glazed Carrots and Pastry Croutons.
- Glazed Carrots: In large skillet, add 4 cups diagonally sliced or mini carrots (about 1 lb/500g) and ¼ cup EACH water and orange juice, and 2 tbsp liquid honey. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook about 2 minutes, until liquid has evaporated. Add 2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp minced fresh chives or parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently to melt butter and coat.
- Puff Pastry Croutons: Roll out half a (397 g) package, defrosted purchased puff pastry to ¼ inch thick. Place pastry on parchment lined baking sheet and brush with cream. Using a knife, score pastry into crouton-sized shapes. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 15 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden.
Per serving based on 6 servings (66 g cooked beef per serving): 757 calories, fat 40.7 g, sodium 889 mg, carbohydrate 58.2 g, fibre 6 g, sugars 16.1 g, protein 35.9 g. %DV: zinc 89%, iron 44%, vitamin B12 265%, calcium 6% DV